Search This Blog

Friday 15 March 2013

WALLABADAH, QUIRINDI and WERRIS CREEK NSW

 Wallabadah, a Town in name only with no Commercial Centre is at the junction of The New England Hwy and the road to Quirindi. There are fairly elaborate Gardens here that commemorate the names of Passengers and Crew that arrived from England on the First and Second Fleets. Why they are situated at this location beats me. I studied the list looking for my Family Names, Rogers on my Mother's side and Wright on my Father's side. I found 3 Rogers amongst the Passengers and about half a dozen with the surname Wright in the Regiment and Crew of the Second Fleet. I will have to follow that up and see if there is any connection with my Family.

The Rest Stop is beside the small Quirindi Creek with an old Amenities Block that was not very clean, some Tables and Electric BBQs. Its a very popular overnight spot with at least a dozen vans preparing to spend the night. I scored a spot close by the River early before I could get parked out. A middle aged couple near me were nice and good for a chat for a while.
  Next morning I left early to continue onto Quirindi, through Werris Creek and on to Coonabarabran and the Warrumbungle Ranges.
Quirindi Creek Wallabadah





  Both Quirindi and Werris Creek look like old Railway Towns, the former being the larger of the two. I could not find an Info Centre in either so are unable to confirm my hypothesis as to the Town Heritage. Quirindi has an ubiquitous Clock Tower this time in the Centre on the main street near the focal point of Town, the Railway Station. Shops were grouped along the opposite side of the road to the tracks. The Station Building was quite small and not all that impressive. A sign on the way in said that the population is 3253 and looking around a bit "yuppie" I thought. I seemed it was Saturday Morning Coffee Hour with many of the cafés brimming with patrons. A couple of Photos for the record and off again.
Quirindi NSW
The only thing of note in Quirindi was the Clock Tower and ANZAC Memorial
in the Centre of the Main Street
 
  Werris Creek is in contrast tiny with a supposed 1792 residents but few were in Town today. I wondered about the accuracy of there Population figures that must change dramatically from time to time and season to season. There a line of run-down Shops on one side of the road and the tracks and a Huge Old Railway station on the other. This one was impressive. I do wish that I could have learnt something of the History of it and the Town with no one to ask it may require a Google for this one. I  did see a number of wrecked Railway Carriages that looked like they were Freight Cars beside the track on the exit of Town. A very long train decided to pass by just as I shot the photo.
  Next stop is Gunnedah for the night.

Werris Creek NSW
 

 
A big Railway Station in such a tiny Town is a puzzle!
 

Wrecked Goods Vans nest to the Tracks at Werris Creek


No comments:

Post a Comment