Search This Blog

Friday 22 March 2013

DUBBO and THE TERRAMUNGAMINE RESERVE NSW

  Big Country Towns (bordering on city size) are really hard to describe  and even more difficult to photograph. There may be many interesting things to see and record but they are buried in the mass, or are now in the Suburbs and hidden from view.
 After tiny Mendooran with no cars and nobody to be seen, even Dunedoo seemed big by comparison, and now this City rush, I feel a bit uncomfortable. As I said everything is dispersed and I could not find the original town Centre, where I expected the most interesting architecture to be located. I gave up, bought some supplies at Coles and moved on to Terramungamine Reserve about 15 km away.
  The Overnight (only 1 night is allowed) stay is a necessity as now it is late afternoon. I try not to be on the road near Dusk or Dawn as the risk of hitting stray Kangaroos, Emus or Wombats and occasionally wandering Stock is real although, it should be OK around here. It is more important further out. I usually have my Overnight Stop  planned well in advance but if not have to find something by around 4pm. Last resort is always a Caravan Park.
 Anyway, back to the Reserve. Terramungamine, pronounced Ter-Mun-Gah means Iron Bark. Along a track that leads from the Campsite there is said to be a Registered Aboriginal Heritage Site where Aboriginal Grinding Stones are located. The directions were sketchy and I didn't feel like a hike in the bush today so I opted out. The Campsite is free with a Toilet Block only and is small having a capacity of only 8 or 10 Vans, about as many as are here now. The Overnight rule is strictly enforced, a Ranger has just arrived and is recording all the Rego Numbers and I assume will be back tomorrow to check for defaulters. I suppose there is a fine however, there are no signs that say so.
  There is not much to say really, it is beside the River, being brown and narrow I would not call it picturesque. I did try and get some descriptive shots that needed a bit of my own composition, hopefully they will have some appeal to you. There is some Birdlife, White Cockatoos which generally are just a noisy menace and little Fairy Wrens that scurry and hop around the Hiace picking up insects, I imagine.
 Tomorrow I will be taking a look at Welligton and then Lake Burrendong where the only place to stay is in the State Recreational Park.
 



 







No comments:

Post a Comment