Search This Blog

Monday 4 March 2013

BURREN JUNCTION AND WEE WAA via THE KAMILAROI HWY

(Friday 1st March 2013)

 Well, I didn't get robbed at Walgett last night, although I do think that I slept with one eye open. I won't be back there in a hurry, the place gave me the creeps. I have taken the Kamilaroi Hwy ( pronounced Gam-ill-a-roy) to Narrabri NSW. It runs all the way from Bourke in the far west all the way down to past Quirindi to finally join up with the New England Hwy. Interestingly, It is the first Major Road in Australia to be named after an Aboriginal Tribe. They have lived continuously in the area for more than 40,000 years, amazing. I reckon it should happen more often.
  Anyway, 90ks to Burren Juction, stuck in the middle of nowhere. There is a large Grain (Wheat) Handling Centre on the edge of Town but nothing else for miles on this flat and featureless plain. My research had told me that there was a Van Park here with Hot Artesian Baths, that where therapeutic. A large (and ugly) sign at the entrance to Town said that 147 people lived here and that it was originally a railway tent town set up when the railway extension was constructed in the early 1900s, and that it developed and flourished.
  So 2klms into Town and nothing!. There was a Police Station, an Old Garage that was closed and fenced off, what looked like a house that had become the RSL Club and nothing else, not even a Shop!. The was no cars or life of any kind, very strange and eerie here in the street alone. I felt like Mad Max and half expected a fortified truck to come screaching around a corner to devour me.
   I decided to give up the search for the Hot Baths and continue 40klms  to Wee Waa. A hundred metres or so, back on the Hwy, there was a small, interesting looking Pub with a sign saying that lunch was available and another larger one on the front porch proclaiming that the Pub was also a "Husbands Day Care Centre" with the "Only cost to the Wife is to pay for his drinks". This Publican could be good for a laugh, and I need it. So up to the front door I went and you guessed it...SHUT!. Poor little Town. I managed to get my laugh after all!
  I'm not having much luck around these parts. Wee Waa was another one main street Town. Nothing to comment on really. I had pies from the Bakery and after 20 mins was off to complete the last 50k to Narrabri and the Yarrie Lake Campground nearby, where things may be better, I hope.


Burren Junction Pub no sign of life at Midday
 
 The Pub Sign says it all!

The Road to Wee Waa NSW





 

1 comment:

  1. Well these pics Bring Back Some Very Good Memories ,When I was Droving Sheep, Way back in the 60's ,With Don rolls & then Later with Kevin rolls ,Last Drove was to Narrabri ,cheers regards Ian wright ,

    ReplyDelete