Search This Blog

Saturday 27 April 2013

BROKEN HILL TO COBAR NSW

  This is a long and I expect boring stretch of around 450 kms that I must complete in order to reach my next destination goal, Lightning Ridge. I have planned to make two overnight stops if possible at Free Camps along the way. Advice given to me is not to stop at Wilcannia due to safety or theft concerns. My aim is therefore to stay at least 50 kms before or after each of the Town and on reaching Cobar find a Caravan Park to freshen up.
  And so the trip transpired and it was uninspiring to some degree, interspersed with points of interest. My first stop from Broken Hill was at Little Topar Roadhouse where I here the steak sandwiches were good. As I pulled in to the driveway I noticed Police and Ambulance activity on the crest on the next rise just under a kilometre further on, obviously an accident. Inside, a young Rural Fire Brigade Volunteer told me that a Ute and caravan had run off the Hwy and that although injured the occupants were OK. The Steak sandwich was quite good after all and it was fun looking around, watching some locals and travellers come in for a feed and a beer before continuing on. I did drive past the accident on resuming my journey. What looked like a Hilux type Ute towing a large Caravan had flipped down a steep an embankment beside the road. The Ute looked repairable but the Van was a total wreck. It is around midday so I doubt if the driver fell asleep. More likely an oncoming Road train came a bit to close as they sometimes do and he moved too far left. Only police and Tow trucks were there now. No help need so I continued.
Little Topar Roadhouse

  The first overnight stop was well before Wilcannia, Spring Hills Rest Area. identified in "Camps Australia Wide". Four other Campers had the same idea to stay at this basic Rest Stop with a (clean) Drop toilet and a few trees providing protection from the sun. a bit of a chat here and there before setting up to retire.
  Next morning all had left except me, which is usual, I don't get up all that early most days. In under an hour I passed through the "No Stop" Wilcannia, a bit of a fortress Town with bars on all windows. It wasn't too bad, only some comments shouted from one of the Pubs as I slowly drove by. Although I had been warned about safety I have not heard any reports of any Travellers being harmed or of any thefts, only the verbal harassment from the Aboriginal locals. 


  Emmdale Roadhouse was reach by early afternoon, a possible Overnight. The all day breakfast was good but the camp wasn't as inviting, a patch of dirt next to a locked Toilet and Shower Block and it was not free. A quick look at my "Bible" and to Meadow Glen Rest Area I will go hoping that it will be Ok.
Emmdale Roadhouse

   And pleasant enough it was in the late afternoon sun shady, with plenty of spots on a red dirt base, the usual Drop Toilet and three or four rigs already set up far enough back from the Hwy so that passing traffic would not be an issue.
 






  The final leg to Cobar only a short distance and the same scrubby country. Worth a mention, there are thousands of Feral Goats living adjacent to the Hwy all the way from Broken Hill and they have eaten anything that they can reach. It must be a real problem for farmers as there are far to many to keep under control I suspect. Thankfully they don't seem to stray onto the roadway and tend to run off into the bush as I pass instead. If that wasn't the case the road would be impassable.
 




  Cobar had only one Caravan Park and capitalised, $35 per night for a single, the dearest by far for the trip so far and an expensive shower!
  Returning to the Hiace I noted a front Tyre was half flat. It is Saturday afternoon and no way to fix it until Monday. It looks like a weekend in Cobar for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment