Search This Blog

Tuesday 5 March 2013

GWYDIR RIVER CAMP via BINGARA NSW

 I continued on the Gap Road for another 65 or so klms through some beautiful country, some with woodlands close to the road, and at other times, green pasture with rolling hills in the background. There were more partially flooded Causeways to cross spanning fast flowing swollen Creeks. I am getting good at crossing now and was able to appreciate how nice they are in this setting.
  As it was now late afternoon, I decided to check out the Gwydir River Camps (Camp 6 N369) that lie just before Bingara. There is a left turn at Keera Rd when entering Bingarra from the Nth, right between the two Bridges. Another 8 klms brought me to the well signposted Gwydir River Camp. Apparently there are a number of spots along the River. The one I chose had a short but steep and muddy dirt entrance road. What the hell I am good at this now, so down I went.
  This is real real Bush Camping stuff even if it is only a short distance to Town. Nothing but a tree lined River Bank and yes, no Toilets, looks like I rough it.
  It is a lovely spot though with shade trees dotted throughout and along the River. Further up the opposite bank is wild bush. The river was flowing swiftly, the Wild Ducks had no chance beating the current trying to cross and it was a laugh as they sped down river just where they didn't want to go.
It looked as though the River had recently flooded so I set up Camp well back from the bank under a tree.



 
 
 


There were others here too, 2 large Buses with huge trailers, and a Van with 4x4 attached. The others were together so I went over and joined in. Two middle aged knockabout Blokes with a Bus each and another with his wife. They had all been here for a couple of weeks and told me how there had been torrential rain up until a couple of days ago and that the River rose quickly by about 2 mtrs and they had to evacuate. Looking around that height would have swallowed all of them. Sharon, the Wife, told me  that another couple had to go to Victoria unexpectedly but left their Caravan, a Boat and all their Camping Gear right next to the River. Well all the others had to step in and drag the Van and boat to higher ground. all the Gear was lost though including a Fridge and Eskies, Table and Chairs etc. Sharon even showed me some plates and cooking stuff caught in a tree but I suspect it was a setup.

  Anyway it was near dusk, so I set up my usual Free Camp Meal of Ham (or Tinned Salmon) with a Cheese and Tomato Salad. It's too much trouble to cook I reckon.
It's so nice here at this time of the evening, the skies are clear and the Birds seem to come to life just before dark, with the Rainbow Parrots and White Cockatoos going nuts in the trees all around.
  Tomorrow I'll explore Bingara before heading to further Sth Manilla via Barraba.

2 comments:

  1. I have came to Bingara to do Family History. Was here years ago, but now with my husband. I will agree that the river bank is beautiful. We are set up right near the waters edge. OMG it is so quite and relaxing.
    Only thing to whinge about is we went to caravan park for shower and it costed us $5 each.
    Funny but not doing much research on family. Just enjoying the peace and quit, till I turn on the Jenny.
    Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your tip on this campsite at Bingara. Stayed here last night after reading your blog. Beaut! Helen.

    ReplyDelete