Search This Blog

Tuesday 12 March 2013

NUNDLE NSW

The Road in to Nundle 
 
 

 Nundle is an old 1850's Gold Town in the hills surrounding the Peel River (600 mtrs) . Today its mainly a Tourist destination and a base for Gold and Gemstone Fossickers many of which I saw working the creeks around here. A pretty little place with a few Buildings with some History, an operating Wool Mill (which wasn't when I was there) that sold Ugh Boots starting at $185 a pair!





 

 
 I had a good yarn with a local Historian at the surprisingly large and interesting Information Centre and learnt a lot, nice Bloke.
  The name "Nundal" is Aboriginal for mouth which was probably applied to the mouth of the Nundle Creek where it flows into the Peel River. Nundul appeared on surveyors maps as early as 1842. Nundul became Nundle when Gold, Government Administration , Stores, Hotels and Land Leasing led to permanent settlement.
  The Chinese are important to the history of Nundle for they not only worked at the Goldfields, they were also Shopkeepers. The annual Go for Gold Chinese Festival every Easter celebrates their contribution to the growth of the Nundle district.

Nundle's Churches
 
           The Primative Methodist Church c1890

Anglican Church c1907

                                                                                                  Catholic Church c1885

  The Old Pub, the Peel Hotel (which it seems was won in a card game oin the 1860s by one of the ancestors of the current Owners), the Churches and other Buildings in the Main Street are simple in design and reflect a Working Man's population that lived here in the past.

The Peel Hotel c1861
 



                    Nundle Council Chambers c 1913 
 
                                                           Nundle Post Office c1903

  I visited swamp Creek while I was here, 10 km away on a good smooth gravel road, where I knew a Bush Camp existed. Disappointingly, it was a very small site next to the creek and very popular being almost full with Vans and Tents. It seemed everyone there was down at the creek furiously panning for Gold, I gave up. Next there was Sheba Dams where I heard the Road in was very steep, I didn't want any stress today, and Hanging Rock which didn't have much of a Campsite so I was told at the Info Centre. It is mid afternoon now so I have decided to drive on to Wallabadah Rest Stop 40 km away beside Quirindi creek and the New England Hwy.

Swamp Creek



  Well, this ends my journey around the New England Tablelands and I must say I really enjoyed seeing this beautiful part of the Country. I know that I will certainly be back for an extended period in the future. After Wallabadah I will turn West and head towards the Warrumbungle Ranges.
Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment