Search This Blog

Saturday 16 March 2013

SCULPTURES IN THE SCRUB and DANDRY GORGE NSW


 
  Well, if you have read my last post, I have to tell you that the Ladies at the Pilliga Forest Discovery Centre were wrong! After 5kms of rough, corrugated, bone jarring, van shaking, dusty, Gravel Road I hoped that things would improve. They did not. By 20 km and the first turn-off to the Dandry Gorge it had become worse. Everything that could be dislodged from it's supposedly secure position on the Van walls fell to the floor with a crash. It is too far to turn back now, so another 11 km of bone jarring, sliding in deep dust, crossing deep and rutted Causeways, praying that nothing breaks, driving and I arrived. I hope that you get the picture. It took an hour and a half to do the 30 km, mostly in second gear at speeds of 10 - 15 kph. Oh, and nothing seems to have broken, the old Hiace made it through. I will however, just have to forget that I have to do this again and that if it rains in the mean time I am stuck here for who knows how long.
  About the site. There is a large Picnic Ground with Toilets, gas BBQs and covered Picnic Tables beside the track to the Gorge and the Sculptures. The Facilities was modern and clean and certainly capable of handling a Bus load if the Passengers could handle the trip.



A bit further along and I found a few Bush Campsites that had been set out separately from each other and quite private. I chose one not far from the Toilet Block and set up Camp for a night or two. I had no energy left to take on the 2.5 km round trip hike to the Gorge this afternoon.  There was one other Campsite occupied with a young Hippie type Couple with 2 kids. We latter had a talk and they were friendly, a bit shy and a little wary of me I trust. They had been here a few days but were moving on tomorrow. They said that the trip in was a bit of an ordeal for them too. The spot I had chosen was far enough away to give both of us privacy. I am glad that someone else is here as this is real Bush Camping stuff and if anything unexpected happens there is no Phone Coverage and help is along way off.






   It is beautiful here though and hot, with no wind and 36c. Its just before dark and I have been walking in the bush around my Camp taking Photos. I feel a bit like an old time Explorer out here on my own with the Birds, that always seem to hide in the trees when I am around. Birds are the hardest things to Photograph. They either are too fast and fly off just at the wrong time or if taking them in a tree I get all tree and very little Bird. There must be a technique to it. No animals to be seen , something that I have noticed before, maybe I'm too noisy. I did see driving in, what looked like a Brown Snake slither across the track in front of me, a large Goanna that quickly sped off at the sight of the Van and a couple of Emus scurried into the bush when I passed. In all cases I reached for the Camera but too fast they were for me. Pity. you will just have to believe me.  After dark now and dead silence, pitch black, else for the millions of stars. And here come the Bugs, its shut up time. All manner of strange looking critters buzzing around and of course huge mossies. The routine is close all Van openings, spray heaps of Fly Spray and sit in the dark until they are all goners. It does mean its hot for sleeping but there is no alternative. Tomorrow I will hike to the top of the Dandry Gorge and the Sculptures in the Scrub. I hope that they are good so as to make this trip worthwhile.


 

 
 

 
  Walking to the Gorge wasn't too bad with a graded Gravel Path all the way. Some steps cut into the rock and a few steeper grades but mostly fairly easy. I have to stop now and again to catch my breath. I can't walk too far these days with my Heart condition and the pain in my legs and feet due to Neuropathy slows me up considerably.
  It took a about 20 minutes to reach the first sculptures, which were created by an Aboriginal Artist, I didn't take pen and paper so could not record his name. I think there are 5 or 6 spread out a short distance from each other along the path to the top of the Gorge itself. The first were constructed of bright metal and to me looked like 2 different groups standing separately but in the same area. I read this to represent 2 distinct clans living apart . The next turned out to be my favourite. A Bronze Aboriginal man with a young child on his shoulders, perched way out on a ledge overlooking the deepness of the Gorge proper. It looked just as I would expect it to in real life eons ago. The rest were a bit abstract for me in meaning but still pretty good. I am not an Arty type Bloke but I did enjoy these and yes I think the trip was worth it. The Gorge was not as distinct as the slate walled Apsley Gorge near Walcha. It is much bigger and very heavily wooded with a rocky escarpment in the distance. I did manager to see an animal. A lizard beside the path, it sat there motionless while I walked by.
  I turned around and about a half hour later arrived back at the Hiace. The skies were a bit cloudy today and I am paranoid lest I get caught out here by myself in the rain. The young Family have left and so too will I go. 
 Sculptures in the Scrub
 









 
 


1 comment:

  1. Hi! Steve, we have been following and enjoying your commentry and photo's.
    We will be in Gunnedah on Tuesday 30th April, but we will give Dandry Gorge a miss and go to Narrabri and Mt. Kaputar instead.
    We look forward to more news from you, in the meantime ,safe travelling, enjoy,
    regards Cheryll and John

    ReplyDelete