Search This Blog

Friday 8 March 2013

BINGARA NSW

(Hi all I am getting behind on my posts again but Internet Connection or Power availability has been an issue.)

There are some Towns that give the impression; all is well here and that they will hold my interest for a while. Like Inverell and to some extent Glen Innes, Bingara is one of these places. Bingara pronounced Bing-gara is Aboriginal for a Creek or a small River.
  It begins with the crossing of the Gwydir River over the delightful twin Old Iron Bridges, the oldest I understand being built around 1860, at the entrance to Town.


The Bridge over The Gwydir River is the Larger of the Two


 
 The Smaller Bridge over Halls Creek, I think is the Oldest
 
 
The Gwydir beside the Bridge

Then turning into the tree lined avenue that is Maitland Street, past the Impressive Imperial Hotel and the many nicely maintained Old Buildings that flank the roadside. Towards the end I found the Information Centre right beside the magical, Roxy Theatre. I had heard about the Roxy from "The Grey Nomads" forum and was keen to have a look. I loved the look of the street Façade. I took a peek inside to see a beautifully restored Cafe come Restaurant adjacent to the Theatre. There is so much to say about this Building that it deserves it's own posting (following), so please read it for a detailed commentary.

 



                  The Imperial Hotel c1889

  Meanwhile, I took a stroll down both sides of Maitland Street, eagerly photographing the best of the Old Buildings that I came across. Then it was into the Imperial for the biggest Hamburger I have ever had and with chips too! I couldn't finish it all and at 10 bucks it was a cheap and hearty meal.
  Back onto the Main Street and it seemed like everyone I came across wanted to chat, most ending with the comment that Bingara was a great place to settle and that housing prices were very low and the weather is beautiful and the fishing is tremendous etc. etc. There are only 1300 Residents in and around Bingara and I think everyone is very proud of their little hamlet and tries to promote it and so they should. I certainly loved it too and with 11 acres advertised for $65,000 the idea of settling does seem attractive.Problem is I am about 40 grand short and anyway the Road is my Home now.
  For those that are interested, The Riverside Caravan Park looked quite inviting, with Park like grounds dotted with many stately shade trees and plenty of grassy sites.

                     Bingara Post Office c1879

Bingara Memorial Hall (Age Unknown)

  For the history buffs, the area was discovered in 1827 by the Botanist, Allan Cunningham who extensively explored all around this and surrounding districts. Gold was discovered in 1852 and attracted hundreds of settlers to the area. By the 1800's Copper and Diamonds had also been found. The remnants of the All Nations Gold Mine (established 1860)  is still on the hill at the southern end of Town and was the last of the Boom Gold Mines, operating until 1948. It was a large Mine with 4 levels and 2 shafts, the deepest being 100 mtrs.
  Finally, another story that is worth relating is that of "The Myall Creek Massacre".
 "In 1888, a famous massacre occurred at Myall Creek Station, 20 kms NE of Bingara. 28 Aboriginal women, children and old men were murdered. This marked the first time in Australian History where White Men were charged, tried and convicted for capital crimes against Aborigines. Seven Men were hanged". Each June long weekend, a Memorial Service is held. In 2008, the Site was listed on the National Heritage List and in 2010, the State Register.
  Well, that is Bingara and yes, I could easily settle here, with beautiful hilly country all around, camping and fishing along the Gwydir River and a marvellous little Village nearby. I will be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment