Search This Blog

Tuesday 12 March 2013

CHAFFEY DAM and ANOTHER GREAT SUNSET

(I am way behind in my Posts this one refers to 6th & 7th March 2013)

 




 
  Chaffey Dam is reasonably large with a capacity 0f 66000 megalitres but is no where near as big as the Copeton Dam featured in an earlier Post. The Campsite that I had read about in "Camps Australia Wide" was at Bowling Alley Point on the Eastern shore. I could see some vans in the distance from the Lookout.


 



 
  The sign at the gravel entrance road said "$5 per vehicle per day (no power available). I could see a Toilet Block on a hill about 200 mtrs from where the other Vans were camped and latter found out there where Hot Showers for $1 which was payable through a hole in the wall!
  I drove down to the Dam edge and there where about a Dozen camped in a row spread out along the water and a few others further back up the hill. I found a nice spot on my own amongst a stand of tall Pine Trees which looked a bit out of place amongst the Tall Gums that predominated. As I drove past there where many waves from the other Campers so it seemed pretty friendly.





 
 






  There are dirt tracks right around the edge of the Dam for a Kilometre of two so there are plenty of spots to choose from. Fishing and Boating are allowed which surprised me since it provides Tamworth with some of its water supply. There were a couple of small boats out in the distance and one or two Campers had rods out. I kid you not whilst I was here I saw big Trout jumping out of the water all day and only 20 mtrs from me. I must find out how to catch Freshwater Fish!
  The district around Nundle is very popular with Gem and Gold Panners and at least one Couple here where using at a base so as to fossick in the creeks up in the hills. The Bloke showed me how to Pan for Gold, he was processing some gravel that he had brought back from one of the creeks. and by golly, there was Gold a couple of pieces about 2 to 3 mm across and a lot of tiny specs. he showed me a vial containing a guess a couple of grams or so which at 31 gms per Troy Ounce at $1500 per ounce was worth about $100. He said that in a good spot one could easily find enough to feed yourself if one panned for a few hours a day. I intend to come back to the New England for a month or two someday so will try my hand at Fossicking then and maybe find some Gold or Sapphires.


  I ended up staying 2 nights as it was very peaceful and the weather was beautiful being around 25 - 30C each day with cloudless skies. strangely though, on both days just before Dusk a strong Easterly wind blow from the hills right across the Dam and the campsite, lasted for only about an hour and then dropped off very weird. I am most definitely going to have Solar Panels fitted to the roof of the van when I get home as the Batteries only last about two and a half days and with Solar i could have stayed a week.
  In summary, this is a good place to stay for even a week or Two. The weather is terrific this time of year and if I were you I would be equipped for Trout Fishing and Gold Panning.
 a look at Nundle and then Wallabadah are next on the agenda.
 
Scenes from around Chaffey Dam
 







 
This is the Steepest Road that I have ever seen almost vertical!
 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment