Search This Blog

Monday 18 March 2013

MENDOORAN NSW The TOWN of MURALS

  I changed my mind this morning. Originally I was going to travel west to Warren and where I had heard that there was a good Caravan Park and then on to Narromine. However, I have decided to go SE instead to Mendooran, Dunedoo and Dubbo which sounds more interesting.
  I sure am glad I did, Mendooran is my kind of place and I thought just delightful. It boasts that it is "The Town of Murals" and almost every one of the Old and well kept, modest Buildings is so adorned with Hand Painted scenes. It is great to see a little place of only 450 people, proudly showing off what they have in a refreshingly different way. To add to the charm many Buildings had full length Rural or Indigenous Scenes on their walls and all very well done and I liked them all. Sorry, but I just had to Photograph most of them so this post contains a lot of pictures, I think that you will enjoy them too. From the Imposing Royal Hotel on the Corner to the General Store, the old Post Office, a Produce Store, Craft Shop and Old Wares Shop, the NRMA Depot and the Mechanics Hall, all were too good to pass by without recording. I note here that a number of small Towns have a Mechanic's Hall. From what I can find out they were used as a place to train young men who were out of work during hard times. I must try to find out more about them.
  The Post Office is also the source of Information in Town. I was attended to by two nice Ladies who seemed chuffed that someone wanted to learn about their little Hamlet and were happy to chat. The more senior of the two seemed to know a bit about the history of the place. A shame but like many Towns there was no Historical Society and nothing written about the Heritage of the Buildings or the Town itself for that matter. You will just have to take a drive down the Main Street as I did:

The Delighful Mendooran
 
 
 
 

 


 




 
 














                                           There is a keen sense of humour in Mendooran!

 
But Wait; There is more! As it turned out there was a Free Campsite not far from the Hotel on the banks of the Castlereagh River and nice it was too. Pretty popular with a dozen or so already set up for a stay. Its a very big Site with plenty of space for dozens more, with basic Toilet and Cold Showers.
The area I chose to camp is very pleasant under some big trees so I think I will stay a couple of days and give the driving a rest for a while.
  A Bloke Dave and and his Missus Marg were parked not far from me and we instantly hit it off, Marg had a great sense of humour similar to mine and ws fun to be around. In particular we shared a long joke about our experiences at poor little Burren Junction that I mentioned in a Post a while back. Marg called it "Barren Junction" which it most certainly was. We decided to go to the Pub together for dinner tonight which is something that I haven't done this trip since I don't Drink anymore.
  As I write this my peace has been disturbed.  A Winnebago as big as a Block of Flats has just pulled in not more than 10 metres away and set up Camp with everything including the Kitchen Sink. What a hide, with all the space that is available. I actually feel hemmed in and intimidated, must be because I am always alone and away from others and anyway I didn't come out here to stay in the Suburbs.. I am very uncomfortable but cannot move just now, it would be too obvious . The solution was to drive the short distance to the Pub and relocate when I returned. I did that and it solved the problem.
  I did stay another day and so did my New Friends. When it was time to leave Marg made sure that I had their address in Mudgee and made me promise to call in if I am near, which I most certainly will do. Now I am off to take a peek at Dunedoo before Dubbo and the Terramungamine Reserve Free Camp.
 
Beside the Castereagh Ruver at Mendooran
 

 






 
 
 
 
 

 
 

4 comments:

  1. Hey Steve, we are your new friends from Mudgee.
    Marg is still laughing about your conversation and your coments on "BARREN JUNCTION"!!! LOL.
    On our home we also stopped in Dunedoo for lunch.
    Travel safe and if we don't see you in Mudgee, we might get to see you in the "Great Australian Outdoors", on the road somewhere!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. stella rose. mendooran cafe22 August 2014 at 06:23

    Well we are off to mendooran in a couple of days.hubbie is taking on the cafe! Wish us luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Stella I will come and say hello nest time I am in town a lovely place

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Steve. Glad you enjoyed Mendooran and also my automotive wall art at the blue shed. Drop in next time you are in town. Cliff

    ReplyDelete