Search This Blog

Monday 25 February 2013

GLEN INNES NSW

Glen Innes Post Office c1896
I left Guyra and The Mother of Ducks Lagoon today to drive 60k along the New England Hwy to Glen Innes in driving rain. It has been like Winter for the last few days' hasn't stopped raining since before Armidale. The Town is smaller than I thought with a population of about 9000 in the Shire. Its still in the Tablelands at an altitude 1072 mtrs so consequently has a similar climate to the other Towns in the district. average Maximum is 20.2c and Minimum is 7.2c. Rainfall of 860mm pa is also typical of the area.
I enjoyed a walk around the pleasant main street with many fine old buildings hence the photos. Most are circa late 1800's to early 1900's. Some are really nice and all are well preserved or have been restored. It makes one feel as if you are still in the period. People where friendly with many returning a smile.
Another attraction that I have to see before I go is the Standing Stones, I don't know why it's famous but can't leave without finding out.
I heard at the Information Centre that the Gwydir Hwy to Inverell was closed today due to flooding so I have booked into the Glen Rest Caravan Park for the night, I also need a tub as it's been four days since the last shower! The weather this arvo has cleared up a bit so I hope to get through tomorrow.
The Caravan Park is basic but does have TV Aerial Cables for each site so I am watching TV in the Van for the first time. By the way there is a pet Goat tied up right next to the Van and it won't stop bleating, How do you shut up a Goat?
Tomorrow it is another 60 odd Ks to Inverell with some more bush camping I hope.

                           The Club Hotel c1896
                      
                                            Courthouse c1873
 Kwong Sing Co. Building c1886 -1915, The Oldest Continuously Operating Business in Town
                                                                                                    The Central Hotel c1874
The Milners Building c1903
                               Old ANZ Bank c1877
                                                                         Town Hall c1817
Originally The Butchers Shop c1901
                       St Josephs School c1916
Street Lamp at Entrance to Town

Street Lamp in Centre of Town
Roundabout With Stones at end of Town
 
St Paatricks Catholic Church c1908 (rt) & Original Church c1870s (lft)
 
                                                                St Josephs Convent c1916
 

 


 
 



2 comments:

  1. I love your photos....very clever! I will keep following, keep it coming. I would love to see and hear about anything really quirky or unusual you come across in your travels X X X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aleisha and I just read all your posts to date and checked out your pics......very impressed. Leish said to send you her love X X X

    ReplyDelete