Search This Blog

Thursday 19 September 2013

WALKERS ROCKS via PORT KENNY and VENUS BAY SA

   The information I had, suggested that Port Kenny offered "easy access to some of the best experiences the West coast has to offer". Well I didn't have that experience. It might have been the blustery weather on the day I visited but I found the place a bit sad and depressing. There is a Pub, a Roadhouse come Caravan Park (which was deserted and looked rundown), a small Post Office and of course a windswept jetty.  To top it off I had for lunch about the worst fish and chips that I have had for many a year. needless to say I was glad to leave.















 Venus Bay although, slightly more developed was no less uninviting. A small place, yes with its jetty in pride of place, definitely did not want Free Campers according to the many prohibition signs around. It seemed wherever I looked there was a sign saying that I should not do something. I think that the Caravan Park that had hijacked the entire beachfront may have had something to do with this. again I was not in a hurry to stay.






 In contrast Walkers Rocks, a part of The Newland Conservation Park, was more like a place where I would feel comfortable. Well off the Hwy, at the end of a well maintained gravel road, the Campground although primitive, had all that I needed. Seclusion (I was the only one here for most of my 3 night stay), a flushing Toilet (a rarity) and even a Shower (with an innovative method of heating), all close to a rugged beach on one side and a rocky headland on the other. Not a "Bucket List" entrant, yet a nice place to  sit for a while.
 












                                                                                    A lazy visitor to the campsite



The innovative hot water system heats up in the sun
problem was though somebody pinched the shower rose









No comments:

Post a Comment