Search This Blog

Monday 16 September 2013

CEDUNA and SMOKY BAY on the EYRE PENINSULA SA

  Ceduna is the last major SA town on the drive west to Perth across the Nullarbor Plain. With a population of 3600 and located on the shores of Marat Bay, Ceduna has a strong Aboriginal culture and was named after the Aboriginal word "Chedoona" meaning "Resting Place".
Ceduna's Jetty
The capable Nurse at the Hospital redressed my burnt leg diagnosing that there was still no sign of infection, to my relief. I left almost immediately after a quick drive around. There are no opportunities for Free Camping around here so I  thought I would try my luck down at Smoky Bay and start my exploration of the Eyre Peninsula from there.
  The relaxed Smoky Bay, only 40 kms south of Cedua has a nice beach, an impressively long jetty, which I have come to lean is ubiquitous for seaside townships on the Eyre Peninsula. There is one General Store with fuel, which I had to purchase at a rip-off $1.80 per litre, a small Caravan Park right beside the beach and many signs prohibiting camping. I am feeling a bit tired so decided the Caravan Park will be it for the night. I was pleased, a pleasant hostess, very clean facilities, the best Camp Kitchen that I had ever seen and at a cost of $25 with power. Now that is what a weary Grey Nomad expects to pay for good facilities in a nice spot.I would possibly have stayed longer but it's near Pension day and after the fuel purchase I am getting short on funds and besides, the weather is awful.
















No comments:

Post a Comment