Search This Blog

Wednesday 18 September 2013

HASLAM SA


You will have to closely study the map to find Haslam that's situated about halfway between Smoky and Streaky Bay. More a community than a town, Haslam is made up of a few houses owned by local Oyster farming families. The quirky Post Office, that is open for only half an hour, at different times 2 or 3 days a week and is the only "official" or commercial building here. The community provides a small campground for travellers at a cost of $5 per night. Close by is a substantial jetty that suggests that the area may have been more active than it is today. I watched as the local farmers launched and retrieved their Oyster boats, modern alloy craft all of the same design, that they hauled to and from the launch point with tractors. As there were no oyster leases around Haslam I assume that the boats travelled to some other part of the coast to harvest. A rugged and windswept beach completed the picture. By coincidence, in the Campground, I parked next to an old couple that I had met all the way back at Kimba. Since the weather was not good and my burnt leg was a bit sore, I decided to hold up here for a couple of days next to my compatriots.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment