Search This Blog

Saturday 15 March 2014

NELSON BAY to THE NEW ENGLAND TABLELANDS NSW

 The Northern Tablelands area beginning at Tamworth and extending Nth  along the Fossickers Way to Inverell and Glenn Innes and further to the Qld border is one of the trips that I have enjoyed in the past. Previously I had travelled Nth from Nelson Bay along the coast before heading inland NW to Wallabadah, Tamworth, Bingara and Warialda.
  This time I took a NW route from Nelson Bay across the mountains via Maitland, Singleton, Murrarundi, Muswellbrook and eventually Wallabadah (described previously in a post).
   The Hwy crosses the ranges and there are many sections of long steep inclines that showed me what The Coaster was or was not capable of. I am still learning how to drive it properly and soon found that patience was needed to get the 4 tonne bus over the hills. A lot of gear changing was necessary with at times15 kph in second gear the best that she would do. A different story on the flat with a cruising speed of 80 kph comfortable and an apparent top speed of around 110 kph possible. Fuel consumption wasn't impressive with around 14 L/100 kms used . I trust that I will record much better on the plains. Despite this, I am happy with the performance of the Coaster under the circumstances and it has proven to be roomy, comfortable and practical to live in.
 I continued on form Wallabadah, passing through Tamworth and Barraba to Bingara, a favourite town where I will to spend a week or so by the Gwydir River nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment