Search This Blog

Wednesday 20 November 2013

HATTAH - KULKYNE NATIONAL PARK Vic

  I decided not to continue following the Murray any further as I had previously travelled from Mildura to Echuca earlier in the year and wanted a new experience. So instead, I ventured SE through rural Vic for 85 kms to the Hattah - Kulkyne National Park camping area. If you like isolated bush camping as I do, then you will like it here. A number of individual sites have been set up, each with a table and fire pit (no wood collection is allowed so bring your own). It was easy to find a secluded spot next to what looked like either a dry lake or river bed. This is not a free camp, in fact it was ridiculously expensive with the "honesty box" declaring that the cost was $19.80 per night per vehicle for up to 6 people! How come it costs $19.80 for one person and $3.30 for each if in a group of 6? After all there was only a drop toilet, which I didn't use, well away from most sites. Anyway, I reckon National and State Parks should be free for use by the Public as we all own the bush. As no Ranger showed up while I was there, I decided to send a cheque in the mail, when I get around to it. Although I am sure that you would find some enjoyment in staying here, I suggest that there are better and indeed cheaper places around.










Why is there a white ball way out in the middle of the lake bed?

I just had to find out. It turned out to be a water level recorder.



1 comment:

  1. A shame you didn't see more of Hattah-Kulkyne. There are many areas where you can camp for free, in more beautiful, natural and remote bush camping areas along the main Murray River. Abundant flora and fauna, and magnificent scenery for everyone to enjoy. Oh, and no-one owns the bush, we are caretakers and should have respect for the land. National Parks require funding so the land can be managed appropriately so we can all enjoy it. Be nothing left otherwise. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete