Search This Blog

Thursday 17 October 2013

BLINMAN, WILPENA POUND and the end of the FLINDERS RANGES

  The rest of the road to Blinman to the east was undulating and winding with a reasonable surface. I was getting low on fuel so was grateful to come across Angorichina Village and a Roadhouse. Blinman Pools reached by a 12 km walk is popular and there were a few preparing for the hike.

  Blinman, the highest town in SA is a Boutique place with a Pub, general Store and a few old buildings. It was busy due to a Camp Oven cooking competition being held by a 4x4 club on the weekend that I visited. Another attraction are the ruins of the old Blinman Copper mine. copper was found in the area in 1859 by a one-legged shepherd called "Peg Leg" Blinman. The town boomed for about a decade after until all the Copper had been removed.













  Wilpena Pound is the last "attraction" to be found in the Flinders. It is in fact a Resort with an adjoining very big bush style Caravan and Camping Park. Indeed it was almost full with holiday makers, including plenty of kids, many families in their Tents erected close together. I stayed to use the facilities, especially a long hot shower which is a luxury sometimes for me.
  The last leg is back to Hawker where I will end my visit to the Flinders Ranges and head south east towards Renmark to follow the Murray River for a while.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Steve, thouroughly enjoying your commentary on these old towns. Not sure where you get the info from, but it makes good reading. I think I can save myself a lot of money, and stay home and just read your travel observations, they are so good !
    Cheers, Rob

    ReplyDelete