Search This Blog

Thursday 18 December 2014

WALKERS ROCKS and A WAR OF BEES

  My next destination for a couple of days was Walkers Rocks, a wild and isolated 600 metre long beach situated in the Lake Newland Conservation Park. I stayed here around the same time last year and was again impressed with the unspoilt peacefulness of the area. There is a small campsite with basic facilities at the end of an excellently maintained gravel road. However, its isolated situation means that only a few seem to visit. This time, I was also treated to a sight that may remain unique to me anyway. Whilst exploring the rock formations just above the waterline, I stumbled on a hive of Bees that appeared to be under attack from another species of Bee or possibly a swarm of wasps. It looked as though it was a fight to the death with the victor's spoil being the hive. From what I observed the original inhabitants ( the striped ones) were losing the battle with the marauding black species. This war lasted for the two days that I was in residence and was not quite over when I left.

The Hive under the rock ledge

The Combatants

A fight to the death

Casualties









































1 comment:

  1. Hello Steve, love your blog, but check that your map has been upgraded from Classic Google maps or you may lose it.

    ReplyDelete