Search This Blog

Saturday 31 August 2013

LAKE HART SA

 
This Free Camp over looks Lake Hart, a reasonably sized Salt Lake of 16000 hectares in area. The Lake is part of the Lake Eyre feeder system and is usually dry but I was lucky, there was water in it today. Being close to Woomera Rocket Range, parts of Lake Hart are restricted with entry prohibited. Apparently, it was part of the Blue Streak Missile Project testing range. Information about the place is hard to come by probably because it is still a restricted area. I did find out that it was one of the last inland lakes to be mined for it's salt. The last shipment was due to leave in 1934 but was never moved and is still here. Although the bags that contained the salt have rotted away and it is now a solid mound of the stuff. I was surprised to also learn that Murray Cod had been caught or seen in the salty brine, amazing that fish could tolerate such conditions.


Remnants of the 1934 shipment
  It is quite a pretty  down near the shore line. The puzzle of the railway line was solved when a goods train rolled by every couple of hours each hauling 120 or so waggons and about 1.5 km long. As it turns out, it is the Ghan railway to Alice Springs. The famous Train didn't pay a visit this time unfortunately.


 Through here to the shoreline

















I am sure that this picture features in many a Visitor's photo gallery

More views of the Lake



























And at Sunset






  Well dear Reader, you have caught up to me. It is Saturday 31st August 2013 and I am still at Lake Hart. I am also a bit injured. A couple of days ago I spilled an entire mug of boiling hot coffee on my leg and that produced a decent burn with a blister about 4" square. Jules has bandaged it for my so as to keep the millions of flies off it. I am hoping that it will heal before any infection sets in. No need for a Doctor unless that happens.
We will leave tomorrow to continue south towards port Augusta with a stop at Woomera Township for a look around and a possible overnight at Pimba on the Stuart Hwy.

No comments:

Post a Comment